Paul Dinger's Reviews > The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems by John Keats

Mar 21, 10

Read in March, 2010

I have to admit that it was the movie Bright Star that got me to read the very slim oveare that is Keat's body of work. Yet, for such a small output, it had a huge following. Keats is very influentional through out the Victorian age. There are all kinds of influence on writers from Tennyson to Matthew Arnold and Browning. It seems to me that a major theme in Keats is work is potential unfufilled. It is a major theme in Ode to a Grecian Urn and Eve of Saint Agnes, where the love story is told from the point of view of two people who never knew love in their lives. Ode to a Grecian Urn isn't about truth being beauty, but about a moment frozen in time. It is literally sung to those who are stuck in time and unable to fulfill what they want to do. It is no surprise that major characters like the nightingale and Psyche die in realizing their potential, much like Keats himself did. Tennyson would return to these themes in poems like The Lady of Shalott and others which really show Keats influence. I really enjoyed reading this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Poems.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You enjoyed Bright Star, too? I just watched it this afternoon and loved it. Now I'm devouring his poetry and I love it just as much. :)
Great review!

Paul Dinger If you like movies about poets, a great one to find is Haunted Summer. It is about Byron, Shelley, and the writing of Frankenstien. It has Alice Krige, Eric Stoltz, and the wonderfully winsome Laura Dern.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! That sounds amazing. I was just hoping there was a movie made about Byron. Thanks for telling me!

Paul Dinger It is a great movie about Byron, if you can find it.