Laura's Reviews > The Emperor's Children

The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud

Nov 26, 07

A last minute, impulsive buy at the airport, en route to France, that I thought I remembered reading really good things about. I read it on the plane, I read it in hotels, I read it on the train. At first, I thought, "she writes well and this is good." I have children younger than those in the book, so was interested in the fates and trajectories of her characters, even though several of them were pretty unlikeable. The more I read, the more I kept waiting for the good parts. By the time it ended, I knew there were no good parts. Who the hell WERE these people and why was I spending time with them? Did the author know who they were? Dear reader, I think not. In spite of the fact that Messud can pen a wicked sentence or two, she apparently can't stick them together to make that complex thing called a book.
Still, reading The Emperor's Children occupied several hours that might have been spent worrying about late arrivals, train strikes, missed planes, key clothing items left at home. That's got to count for something.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Children.