Trish's Reviews > The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

The Big Short by Michael Lewis

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read on March 22, 2010

Lawd. This book took my breath away. I remember what I was doing at several critical moments described in the book and to have been so unaware makes me breathless. I learned things and feel oddly vindicated and cheated at the same time. I knew dumb people were making money with my money: vindicated. I thought some people in the government might be smart enough to realize what happened and know what to do: cheated.

Michael Lewis played two roles in writing this book about the subprime loan debacle. One the one hand he did the plebian job of untangling a very messy ball of knotted threads and on the other hand did a herculean job of elevating the discussion above the rock-slinging and shouting to which some angry losers are wont to resort. His characterizations of those involved on both sides of the trades are intimate enough to involve our emotions as well as our interest, but I think what really charmed me was the absurdity of some phrases that matched so perfectly the absurdities he was describing:
Inside Morgan Stanley, the subprime lending boom created a who-put-chocolate-in-my-peanut-butter moment. (p.201)

Osama and his team of bombers couldn't have done what our own Wall Street firms and their rating agencies and regulators did to the to the U.S. people and to the credibility of the U.S. government:
It was as if bombs of differing sizes had been placed in virtually every major financial institution. The fuses had been lit and could not be extinguished. All that remained was to observe the speed of the spark, and the size of the explosions. (p.225)

It seems ridiculous for me to urge you to read this book. Don't read it. You'll sleep better. But please don't go investing on Wall Street unless you want your nuts torn off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Short.

03/22/2010 page 17
6.44% "Lewis is clever & fast-talking. Not relaxing, especially if one is not in financial industry, but fascinating, nonetheless."
03/23/2010 page 87
32.95% "Jay-sus. You have GOT to be kidding me. What characters! What hutzpah."
03/24/2010 page 121
45.83% "I think I would hand this to any prospective investor in Wall Street & say don't come back till you've read and digested this." 1 comment
03/26/2010 page 200
75.76% "Chickens coming home to roost the very day after a Las Vegas conference celebrating the ill-gotten gains of bond sales desk folks. Jeesh."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert Intriago I got it today and plan to start soon. Will let you know my opinion.

message 2: by Merry (new) - added it

Merry Trish you have got my attention!

Spike I'm currently reading this and those quotes stuck out in my mind as well. Compelling!