Jo (Bloomin'Chick)'s Reviews > The Sea

The Sea by John Banville

Mar 21, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: library-book-club, fiction, ireland-or-irish-authors, finished-2010
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** (My rating is actually 2.5 stars).

The Sea is a portrait of what happens to a person who lives in the past and becomes self-pitying. The present becomes full of bittersweet melancholy and unfairness which enables the person to slip backwards instead of forwards. They become dry, rambling, odd. People like this are hard to care for and about in real life, which is why it's hard to care about the main character Max or any of the characters in the novel as they're all seen through his eyes & emotions. I can see how some would take the writing as full of ego, even lofty, which it could be, though I wonder if writing this way was a deliberate act of setting the tone for Max and the novel...? I wasn’t even able to get a handle on a sense of place, other than despair, which can be a lot of things, including a place if that’s where one let’s their grieving take them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea.

05/20/2010 "I so have to start this! We're discussing this on 5/27 at the next book club meet-up!"
05/22/2010 page 35
17.95% "Rambling, dream-like, lonely..."
05/23/2010 page 72
36.92% "Dry."
05/24/2010 page 107
54.87% "This book may be depressing me. I'm not liking the writing style."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel Oh, I'm curious to see what you think of this book...have been contemplating picking it up?? Happy Reading:)

Jo (Bloomin'Chick) I'll let you know as soon as I actually start it, LOL! Lots going on lately but I've got to start & finish soon since it's for the book club meetup on 5/27.