Jen's Reviews > Need

Mar 21, 2010

bookshelves: received-as-gift, read-in-2010
Read on March 31, 2010

What a fun, quick read!

I thought the incorporation of Zara's slight obsessive-compulsiveness with the phobias was interesting. It really built her character and surprisingly gave her a personality. I hate it when heroines are introduced with no intriguing traits or hobbies, and we're expected to believe it when everyone lusts after her. THANK GOD Zara has some sort of distinguishing feature.

Zara is a very likable character. She has a good head on her shoulders, for the most part, and her quirkiness is refreshing. Too often are we presented with bland female leads with no real intrigue, but Zara realizes she's a complete weirdo and embraces it. Yes, please! Given her circumstance with losing her stepfather, I felt especially sad for her. I can't imagine going through what she did. Though it was evident that Zara was in near constant pain, she kept her chin up and kept on truckin'. I have to give props on the secondary character, too, who were very well developed, namely Devyn.

The villain was a little strange, though not unpredictable, especially when the whole "need" thing was brought into play. Creeptastic, truly.

There are definitely some cliche aspects to the book:

1. Awkward, clueless new girl in town moves in and the spunky friends are drawn to her, the hot guys get a crush on her, and all is well except for the beautiful bitchy girl that tries to make her life hell.

2. "Secret" supernatural beings, but that's perfectly acceptable.

3. Awkward, clueless girl finds out that nothing is as it seems and discovers she might be EXTRA-SPECIAL and not just awkward.

4. Special awkward, clueless girl ends up not-so-clueless and realizes she's an essential pawn in evil, diabolical plan.

But this book was so fun, I don't even care about any of that. Nick and Zara were a cute pairing and for ONCE there was no "I love you" 50 pages into the story, taking place 5 minutes after the hero/heroine first meet. Yay, Carrie Jones! You did it right!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Need.

03/31/2010 page 93
30.39% "Zara is quirky. I like it."

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I keep hearing mixed reviews on this one. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Awesome review.

~Tina~ This is one of those books I was DYING to love, but just couldn't:( I still own it though, I want to do a re-read of it one day and read the sequel. Sometimes books are funny like that the second time around.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim I'm glad you liked it, I couldn't even finish this.

message 4: by oliviasbooks (last edited Sep 22, 2010 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

oliviasbooks Wow, you liked it. Thus it has not been written in vain.

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I did NOT like the second one.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I am going to read Entice :) the cover is hot. That's pretty much it. And I guess I'm interested to see the avenue that the author takes now that the uh, Valkyrie has come into play.

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic You are one braver reader than I am. The second one sucked bad that I am done with this series. You'll have to do a spoiler review and tell me what happens in Entice :)

Milly Great review Jen! I agree, Captivate is not as captivating as Need! I'm planning on reading Entice but I've already heard the writing is worse than Captivate. Still, I'm just intrigued to find out more...about the Valkyrie, Valhalla, the biggest war ever...and who Zara chooses in the end!