Phloe's Reviews > Shoplifting from American Apparel

Shoplifting from American Apparel by Tao Lin

Mar 21, 2010

it was ok
Read in March, 2010

Two stars because Lin does - write in a way no one else has prior.

Two stars because - it really wasn't all that engaging.

But. I'm not the one with a book deal, and one who is included in the series "The Art of The Novella" alongside Kipling, Flaubert, Wharton and Joyce. Tao Lin is inarguably making more money than I am.

Shrug. Maybe it's because I'm not a writer. I just read. Perhaps I am missing something.

One-hundred-and-three pages of hipster ennui. Our main character Sam basically drinks iced coffee as much as he gets together with a number of really boring, vapid chicklets who basically have two choices: either do what he says (Audrey) or end up in a mental institution because you're not feeling him (Sheila). It's great writing if you indeed are that person - the one who gets brought out to U of Florida Gainesville for a reading and are told you have to sleep in a roach infested bus instead of a hotel. Or the one who shoplifts from a store known for ridiculously overpriced tee shirts and finds it a hoot when you get thrown in a holding cell for a few. Of course, the next time you get caught shoplifting, there is no record of your prior arrest - because you piss cotton candy and shit fro-yo.

And here's the deal: I ENJOY Lin's writing outside of this novella. His prose is quite funny- the book pronounced "EE" and Bed are rather enjoyable. That's the fucking bust about it: This novella is great if you live in the world Sam inhabits- but for the rest of us, it's just a literary blueball. You get taken into that world but can't. Quite. Get it over with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoplifting from American Apparel.