Max Anadon's Reviews > A War of Witches: A Journey Into the Underworld of the Contemporary Aztecs

A War of Witches by Timothy J. Knab

Mar 21, 10

Read from March 17 to 21, 2010, read count: 1

A book sitting in my library for years... Witches have always interested me, probably prompting me to pick it up years ago. In this story, we follow the author (an anthropologist) in his quest to learn the old Aztec ways from his mentors, Doña Rubia and Don Inocente.

Doña Rubia is ill, and as he learns the old methods of Aztec healing while mixing in modern day treatment. Whether the old healing really works is part of the story, but it certainly is important to Rubia and Inocente.

Rubia and Inocente live in the small town of San Martín, and he slowly learns about the history of the town, including a War of Witches ('but there haven't been any witches here for a looong time'). The witched killed many people with a variety of tactics including using the underworld. Was a witch after Doña Rubia? Would one go after Timoteo (the author) as he learns the old ways and becomes a healer himself?

Set in Mexico, it brought back some memories from the years that I lived there. If you like Mexico, anthropology, or Aztec history/religion, this might be worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A War of Witches.