Vicki's Reviews > The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy

The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy by Sara Angelini

Mar 21, 10

bookshelves: austen-inspired
Read in January, 2010

If you ever wondered what would happen to Lizzie Bennet in the modern world -- the advantages she'd have, the clothes she'd wear, the career path she would choose -- you'll love this book. I can't say that it's been a huge question for me, but I liked seeing what Sara Angelini imagined for her and the others. Jane is a surgeon, Darcy a judge, Bingley a businessman, Caroline a real estate shark. P &P is the inspiration for Angelini's story, but she only uses it as a springboard. From there, keeping a very loose framework, she does her own thing. Her imagination is good, and it keeps any resentment you might have about how the characters work out at bay. I don't mean that the author does anything "bad". I just mean that if you stick too closely to the original, you get yourself in trouble, because you can't live up to it, you can only make matters worse. By doing your own thing, you have a real chance at telling a good story, which is just what Angelini pulls off here. A fun book (PERFECT for vacation or a lazy Sunday) with some steamy scenes here and there.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy.