Ann's Reviews > Between the Woods and the Water

Between the Woods and the Water by Patrick Leigh Fermor

F_50x66
Mar 21, 10

This book is the continuation of Fermor's walk across Europe (first book: The Time of Gifts). I'm really torn about the books. His walk occurs in 1933-1934, so there is are very interesting descriptions of political events and how Fermor, and the fascinating people he meets along the walk, react to them. On the other hand, Fermor seems a bit obnoxious. First, he lists quotes in other languages without giving an English translation. We're not just talking French and German here, either. My Hungarian and Romanian are apparently just not up to snuff. Second, my knowledge of Central European history is clearly insufficient for the author. For example, here's a sentence and an accompanying footnote: "Their inhabitants seemed doubly precious now, and I brooded with homesickness on feasts and libraries and stables and endless talk by lamp- and candle-light; and all this led to a return of my earlier mood after our brief rush through the arcades and gables of Hermannstadt." Footnote: "It would be improper to call it Sibiu in this context." Right, I was just thinking that.
Despite these problems, I still thought the book was really interesting, and there are some really lovely passages. There's a third in the series, which I do think I will track down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Woods and the Water.