Georgina's Reviews > Wild Card

Wild Card by Lora Leigh

Mar 20, 10

Four stars because, once I started reading, I literally couldn't put it down, and despite whatever plot or character flaws occur in a book, if it can hold my attention from beginning to end, then it's doing it's job.

Having said that, I found the explicit (and numerous) sex scenes rather tedious after a while. Yes, they're definitely hot, and leave zero to the imagination, but I personally don't need it all laid out on a plate for me, so to speak. Also - although it was only used once - I'm not a fan of the "c" word - AT ALL - especially during a sex for me, once is once too many.

As far as warrior husband coming back from the dead goes, I decided from the beginning to give the plot a little leeway there, and to my surprise, Lora Leigh actually managed to weave some credibility into the story.

I found Noah's physical need to constantly have sex or, as Leigh delicately puts it "f**k", as the result of being pumped with a date rape drug for eighteen months in captivity, a little cringe-worthy, but hey, if it has awakened Bella's inner wildcat, and she's happy to walk around bow-legged for the rest of her life, then best of luck to them!

Wild Card isn't a literary masterpiece, but it never claims to be, and oftentimes, that's not what I'm looking for in a book. For the mostpart, I'm happy to acknowledge the flaws and just be swept up in the for me, in that regard, Wild Card delivers.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Card.

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Apr 06, 2010 05:08AM) (new)

Lauren Good review. You've done an especially good job of warning me away from it ;) I don't get any pleasure out of sex scene or swearing in novels. It makes me all tense and stops me from just enjoying. All the sex scenes that I've read just seem forced. I find that when authors just gloss over the details it's a lot steamier and enables the plot to carry on to the significant bit. But perhaps I'm just strange like that.......

Georgina Thanks, glad to help :) No, not strange at all. I'm sort of somewhere in between with that one. I don't mind people getting it on in a story but find many sex scenes to be either poorly written or too frequent. The plot in this book is interesting but you had to endure the horizontal, vertical and pretty much everything else in order to get there. Like I said, it got tedious, so I either skimmed or skipped a lot of it.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Ah, skimming and skipping. An excellent technique.