Cara's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Jul 14, 14

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, series, awesome-covers, paranormal
Recommended for: A must for TMI fans
Read from October 04 to 13, 2010

Oh you guessed it I read this to up my book count! So, granted it's not an entire book but I really needed to catch up.

For those of you that didn't know about it here is the link. It's the attic scene from the Will's perspective.

This just made me more excited for Clockwork Prince to come out. Goodness I am not patient these days!

Merged review:

Seriously blown away doesn't even cover it. I have to admit I had my doubts and reservations about how this book was going to turn out. We have the ever present love triangle, a girl that doesn't know her powers, and some other similar plot lines. I was thinking "Oh no not a rehash of The Mortal Instruments!" My worries were stupid really. I should have trusted Clare's remarkable way of telling a story. To be sure I won't make the same mistake twice and never doubt again.

Tessa is an American girl coming from New York to London in search of her brother. Things apparently go wrong from the onset. Her brother, Nathaniel, isn't there and she is taken by the Dark sisters. She learns fairly quickly that there is a whole new world she didn't know about. Where terms like Downworlders, Nephilim and Shadowhunters are commonly used. Her path will cross with that of the Shadowhunters and with them she will figure what happened to her brother, but like always there is something lurking behind the scenes. Something that will change the foundation of both the mundane and magical world.

When I first read the City of Bones I had thought the author could have set this in the past, and wondered why she didn't try that. Obviously she was just holding out on us! The cast of characters like always are utterly compelling and you get attached to them almost right away. I want to refrain from making too many comparisons with this series to TMI, but I'd like to point out that I admired Tessa more readily than Clary. They both are strong female characters but I just clicked with Tessa better. The action certainly did not disappoint, and is one of the reasons why I just can't get enough of these books. I'm so ready for more guts to spill. There is of course the question of love interests: the unpredictable Will and the caring Jem. Both equally gripping characters and at the moment I'm just Team Tessa cause I want things to work out well for her.

The wait will be most agonizing for Clockwork Prince. Actually the word agonizing doesn't quite show the gravity how much I want to read the next book right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Cara Liked

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

10/12/2010 page 227
47.0% "Already loving it:D" 16 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Valerie Sounds exciting but another love triangle! I don't like the sound of that. And its a series. I can just feel the drama now.

Cara Yeah I know! But don't you like the cover. I'm a sucker for covers.

Valerie That's true but I'm still hesitant.

Cara Read it woman! Serioulsy.

message 5: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I'm having mixed feelings about reading this book. I have read some really awful reviews that totally put me off then the last two reviews, yours included have said it's totally awesome.

I suppose that means I should give it a go and see for myself :)

Valerie Cara wrote: "Read it woman! Serioulsy."

Ha Ha! Alright I'll give it a go.

message 7: by Cara (last edited Oct 14, 2010 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara @The Slowest Bookworm-I obviously highly recommend them and if you read the first series you will like this one. I do understand though that these books aren't for everybody. If you go in thinking you are going away with something really intellectually, you will be disappointed. Like you said give it a go and if you do, tell me what you think;)

@Valerie- HURRAY!!!!

Emory Allison Monroe I totally agree with you. :D I loved this book more than the Mortal Instrument series by far!

Cara I love them both:) But I guess the first one to this one really blew me away. Eagerly anticipating City of Fallen Angels and The Clockwork Prince.

message 10: by chinos123 (new)

chinos123 Do I need to read the other three books "The Mortal Instruments" to understand this?

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara No I don't think so. I have a sister who read this on it's own and didn't have a problem. It's cool because you see connections but I suggest you read it! As you can tell I loved it;)

message 12: by chinos123 (new)

chinos123 Cara wrote: "No I don't think so. I have a sister who read this on it's own and didn't have a problem. It's cool because you see connections but I suggest you read it! As you can tell I loved it;)"

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara No prob;)

Elena Sorry to break in the conversation haha. I wanted to say to Chinos123, it's not necessary for you to read the Mortal Instruments first, but i highly suggest you do it.
The Mortal Instruments if the first novel that takes you into the world of the Shadowhunters. During the trilogy you'll find characters that will make their appearance also in The Infernal Devices. It was nice to meet them again.
It's true that you can do the contrary -- read TIF first and then meet some chracters in TMI, too, but i always go for the first one and then the others.
You can decide. (:

Wendy Darling Doesn't matter why...just matters that you did. I'm dying, dying for Prince...but it means we'll agonize even more for Princess! *sigh*

message 16: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Oh I know! The wait is agonizing! I'm so glad I saw your review on it because I would have never found it. Thanks Wendy;)

Wendy Darling Sure thing. That's why we're all here, right? To tempt each other to while away more time and more money on books. ;) At least this one was short and free!

message 18: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Hahaha!!!!!!!:D I know the excitement is tiring!

message 19: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yeah I have:) I'm a big fan of that series. I just haven't read the fourth one yet!

message 20: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Hi Cara! I loved this review! Your enthusiasm and love for the book just make me want to start reading now!!! :D I have been meaning to pick up this series for awhile.
Do I need to read the TMI series first?

message 21: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks Laura:) I don't think you have too, it's cool to see things and names you've heard before but it can stand on it's own. Can't wait to see your thoughts if/when you read it!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review :).

message 23: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks so much anonymous reader:)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome, and you can call me Ace if you like :). It's a shame we have to wait a year for the last installment. I'm not particularly patient when it comes to this series :P.

message 25: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Oh I know what you mean I have yet to read Clockwork Prince and it's torture to see so many people reading it but I am so glad it is getting so much love. I ready to dig on my claws into it but I know I'll be left wanting more because this autor knows how to leave us in suspense! Have you had a chance to read the TMI series?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Clockwork Prince was a nice improvement from Clockwork Angel. There were more twists and turns, heartache and swoon-worth moments. I'm still thinking about the book, and I finished it at three o'clock this morning :P.

I read them, but it's been a long time. I really enjoyed them, though I prefer TID. I've planned to reread TMI in 2012 since I don't remember much from them. I only read the first three. I've not heard good things about the fourth one, so I've been hesitant to pick it up.

message 27: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I really like TMI but like you I haven't read the fourth installment yet. You are right I've heard bad things but I have heard good things as well. I will read it because I'd like to see if there are any link between the two and knowing how Clare writes there will be. I can tell I am getting myself all excited;)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I will eventually read all the TMI and TID books, but I've heard there's a huge cliffy at the end of COFA, so I'm waiting until closer to the release date of COLS before I start my rereading.

message 29: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Good idea, I wonder if I'll have the patience to do that...well I've made it this far right? Who am I kidding when get the chance I'll read them:) you are much stronger than I Ace!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, well it's only because I have an epic-long list of books to read. It's easy to have restraint when there are so many distractions laying around on your bookshelves :).

message 31: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara True true:) I check out my books from the library so not as much temptation I guess. Oh but you are right there are so many books out there to read and so little time. The story of a readers life *sigh*

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Too many book, too little time. It's like my mantra :P. There are a couple of series I want to check out next year, ones I've read a book or two of but never finished the whole series for some reason.

message 33: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I am not to great about keeping with series but I do try to, but if I love it enough I will, which series are you looking into?

message 34: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara I have only heard good things about Shiver and been meaning to-read it for awhile now. I am a HUGE Percy Jackson fan so i urge to finish that one:) I love The Hunger Games series though you may have read that already. But if you haven't don't be wary of the hype it really stands on its own.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Shiver and Linger were lyrically beautiful and heartbreaking in their own right. It's a series (at least for the first two books) I would definitely recommend.

The books are small and the first one was really fast-paced, so it shouldn't take me long to finish the Percy Jackson series.

I read The Hunger Games last year, and they are really fantastic, though I can't remember any smaller details; just the major plot points.

message 36: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Ok that means my list for books to-read for 2012 just went to a number I will not reach:)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, my to-read list is getting a bit ridiculous as well. There are just too many books to read.

message 38: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Oh but is in all in good fun, there is something great to think we will never run out of new stories to-read:)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

That is so true, Cara. I only wish there were more hours in the day :P.

message 40: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Don't we all Ace:D

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

We certainly do :).

message 42: by M/Ðɑηηɑ (new)

M/Ðɑηηɑ what's TMI?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

TMI is The Mortal Instruments :).

message 44: by M/Ðɑηηɑ (new)

M/Ðɑηηɑ Oh, sure (:

message 45: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Ace beat me to it:D Yeah it stands for the other series this author wrote. Obviously highly recommended;)

message 46: by Iola (new) - added it

Iola which should i read first this or TMI

message 47: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Probably TMI since it came first but you can honestly read this one first and not be lost. Hope that helps:)

Ceecee i liked tessa more than clary, too! cant wait for clockwork prince, though i'll have to scour bookstores first.

message 49: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Yes get on that! I actually just check out almost everything I read from the local library because buying books can get expensive but sometimes they won't have a book I really want to read:( Then it's off to the bookstores:)

message 50: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Arden I could not agree more, Cara.

« previous 1