Leigh's Reviews > It's Not the End of the World

It's Not the End of the World by Judy Blume

Apr 05, 2010

bookshelves: 2010
Read from April 03 to 05, 2010

Fantastic book for middle grade kids about divorce. I never read this one when I was younger, but lately I've been into Judy Blume and either re-reading her children's novels, or catching the ones I missed. My parents did divorce when I was 16, so this book absolutely resonated with me. I got choked up at the part when Karen tries to come up with alternate theories as to what is happening (Daddy has to sell the furniture store!); I did the same thing in the weeks leading up to my parents' split, sensing that something was wrong but not knowing what. So many of the details are spot on; you'd be hard pressed to find another book that represents a breaking up family so well.

My only complaint is the same one I always have with Blume: I wish she would go further, dig deeper. The book just sort of drops off with the end of the school year, but the changes in Karen's life are really just beginning. I suppose she stopped at a decent point, but having been there myself, and having had several peers growing up who went through this, I know there's more upset in store for our heroine. It would have been nice to see her follow that through, or maybe write a sequel.

Okay, I lied, I have one more complaint, though this one is specific to this book. What's the deal with the teacher? I kept waiting to find out why she'd become "a witch" after getting married. Was her husband that awful? Did she know that before she married him? Was it one of those "he totally changed the second we said 'I do'" situations? Or did she catch him cheating on her just weeks into the marriage? There's a whole novel in that character's backstory. Maybe one for us adults.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not the End of the World.