Annalisa's Reviews > Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me

Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler

542037
Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, issue, contemporary, cover
Recommended to Annalisa by: goodreads giveaway
Read from August 04 to 05, 2010

It's so nice to read a YA book about real issues. And I'm not talking about the awkwardness of being a teenage girl, of wearing the wrong outfit, of feeling that everyone else is popular and you're a social leper, of not understanding what boys mean or why they do the things they do, of struggling with an overbearing parent you can't relate to, although the book is about that too. But it's also about a world that's larger than us. In this case, it's about the Wolf Reintroduction Program at Yellowstone National Park. On one hand, you have the environmentalists following the wolves, enthralled by their beauty and social structure, and the benefits to the ecological system as a whole when wolves keep down the elk population which in turn helps vegetation growth. And on the other hand, you have the ranchers who loose numbers when wolves prey on their herd causing them a financial burden, and on top of that, you have the wolf reintroduction coming down as a a federal mandate where the states oppose the measure. It goes to cause a lot of natural tension and devise, and it's all interesting stuff about national politics that might interest kids in real issues in life. That's refreshing in YA lit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me.

08/11/2010 page 371
100.0% "The truth is I finished this book a week ago and I haven't had a chance to review it. But I liked it. Let's get that out of the way."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cami (new) - added it

Cami Fun title. Hope it's good.

Annalisa I thought so. I've actually waited a really long time for this to come in at the library and was so excited when I got the email that it was finally in.

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Looks good! I didn't know wolves in the title meant real wolves.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana It is indeed refreshing. It's nice to step away from never-ending teen love angst once in awhile.