David's Reviews > Point Omega

M_50x66
Mar 20, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2010

When I visited Paris in 2000, I went to Musée d'Art moderne de la Ville de Paris. I walked down a dark corridor with a picture on the far wall. When I got closer, I saw it was a photograph of a hitchhiker along a busy highway holding a sign that said, “psycho”. I turned down another dark corridor into a room that showed the movie Psycho at a frame every two seconds. There was no sound. I stood alone in the room and watch Janet Leigh check into the Bates Motel then left.
DeLillo’s Point Omega begins and ends with the same exhibit, 24 Hour Psycho by Douglas Gordon, at MoMA in 2006. In between is the story of Jim Finely’s journey into Mojave Desert to convince Richard Elster, a scholar who did consulting work for the military, to let him make a movie about him. Without any luck. So he hangs out with him in the desert. Elster’s twenty-six year-old daughter shows up one day so to escape a boyfriend in New York. Then she disappears.
I like DeLilllo’s sparse writing and his themes of paranoia and secrets. He also uses art as a jumping off point for his novels, such as in Mao II and The Falling Man, which leads into semiotics and meaning of things. Unfortunately, the prologue and the epilogue are the most interesting parts of the novels. The rest is a little thin.
An aside, there is an interesting and funny interview with Gordon on youtube.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point Omega.