Melissa 's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Jennifer Bradbury

Sep 09, 10

bookshelves: battle-of-the-books-possibilities-f, favorites, read-in-2010, teen-general-fiction, teen-mystery, teen-sports-fiction, with-reviews
Read from September 07 to 09, 2010, read count: 1

In the summer after their senior year in high school, Chris and his best friend Win decide to bike across the United States from West Virginia to Seattle, Washington, but when something goes wrong and only Chris returns, questions are asked and suspicions are raised. What really did happen to Win, and why has he not come home?

I just finished reading this book a few minutes ago, and I usually like to let it sit a little before I write the review, but this time I thought I would give it a shot. I have to say that this book surprised me. When I first started it I thought it was a little slow going, but as I got to know both Chris and Win and their epic journey, I was hooked. I am not usually a realistic fiction fan, but those that catch me are usually ones that I will happily rave about--this will be one of them.

The characterizations are strong especially for Chris and Win, but even the side characters are well developed too. I found myself seriously liking FBI agent Ward, and even Chris's parents were priceless. I really liked Chris's dad and the fact that he supported his son's interests.

The pacing was a little slow in the beginning while Bradbury laid the groundwork for the story, but once the teens hit the road on their bikes the story is propelled forward at a nice pace.

I loved the descriptions of the places on their trip. Honestly it made me wish for more. I wanted to spend every minute of the book on the ride with Chris and Win and visit all the places they went to.

I loved the dynamic between the characters and their environment. The friendship between Chris and Win was dynamic and changing and you really wanted more. I loved the jokes and loved their sense of adventure and humor.

Overall, I will just say this is a fun read. You will laugh and you will cry and just reading it is an adventure. It is a short fast read that will leave you wanting more of their adventure across the United States. It is also a fascinating mystery that will have you hooked until the final resolution.

I definitely recommend it for anyone who likes realistic fiction with a touch of mystery. It is a book where the characters find their identities in the journey. A great book!

Okay, I will stop gushing now!

Cautions for sensitive readers: None

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

09/07/2010 page 41