Melissa 's Reviews > Reality Check

Reality Check by Peter Abrahams

May 20, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, teen-action-adventure, teen-realistic-fiction, teen-mystery, with-reviews
Recommended for: mystery fans, Peter Abraham fans
Read from May 10 to 19, 2010, read count: 1

Cody is almost 17. He is the quarterback on his high school football team, has a great girlfriend, and a wonderful summer job making more than minimum wage. For Cody, life is good, until his girlfriend Clea tells him she will be going to boarding school the following year, and at that point everything seems to fall apart. Cody breaks up with Clea, wreaks his knee and his football season, and then gives up on school. Just when things seem the worst, Cody finds out that Clea has disappeared from her New England boarding school, and no one can find her. Taking matters into his own hands, Cody travel across country and dives into the search for the one girl he loves.

Cody is a well developed and likable character whose relationship with his father is tenuous at best. He loves Clea, a fact you can see from the first pages of this book. You want to cheer for Cody’s persistence and his desire to find Clea.

Although the story is engaging and keeps you on the edge of your seat, I did have moments when I was a little frustrated with Cody’s slowness. I know he is supposed to be a high school dropout, and barely passing his classes, but he is a sharp kid, and shouldn’t have been that clueless. There were moments when the novel went to slowly, or spent too much time revealing something the reader has probably already figured out. There were other times, the novel was just plain predictable.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the story, and was glad to see how it turned out, but I have to say, I had the mystery figured out from the beginning. Despite that fact, there was still something about Abraham’s writing that kept me going. I did enjoy some of the surprises he had for the reader, even if the mystery wasn’t all that mysterious.

Peter Abrahams is a master storyteller. Although a bit predictable at times, I did find this mystery to be gripping and engaging. You don’t want to put it down and are anxious to find out what happens. I think teens will like Cody and want to know what happens to him.

Cautions for sensitive readers: Some sex is mentioned in the text, but nothing is explicitly described—in fact I would say the book is very modest about the sexual relationship aspects. There is some strong language present that could offend sensitive readers, but it is used cautiously, and not that often. Violence is present in the text.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reality Check.