carl theaker's Reviews > Zuleika Dobson

Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm

Mar 20, 10

bookshelves: modern-library-100
Read in November, 2000 — I own a copy

The advisors who put this book on the Modern Library Top 100 should be taken out and shot!

The fact that the Modern Library had to recently print this edition, otherwise no one would have ever
found it, shows its obscurity (now available at your local used bookstore). I mean no one reads
Ulysses and you can find that anywhere.

A tale of the beautiful, up from the working class Zuleika, granddaughter of the Oxford dean, who
visits the college and has everyone fall in love with her.

This satire of Edwardian England is a pain, or more of chore to read as social satire is peculiar to its era and much is lost on the reader, ok me anyway. Even so there are some funny moments that shine through.

The positives are you learn something of Beerbohm who was popular in his day and Zuleika is referenced in another ML100 novel 'The Magus' where two women are compared to Zuleika, which makes you feel well read, amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zuleika Dobson.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meaghan I actually found out about this book from a baby name book. In the entry for "Zuleika" it mentioned this novel as the name's only claim to fame. Zuleika means "brilliant and lovely."

I enjoyed it, but I agree that it is perhaps justifiably obscure -- mainly of interest to those who are into that time and place.

carl  theaker True it is a good book for the feel of that time,
at least what for what was comedy. I wonder did you
end up naming anyone Zuleika?

Meaghan I have no children yet to name but I suppose Zuleika is as good a name as any -- though no one would pronounce it correctly. It's actually pronounced zel-ah-kah, not zoo-leh-kah or zee-leek-ah or anything.

carl  theaker You are the only person in the world that knows that.

Meaghan Now there are two of us. :-)