Dan Schwent's Reviews > A Walk Among the Tombstones

A Walk Among the Tombstones by Lawrence Block

A gang of psychopaths kidnap, rape, torture, and murder a drug dealer's wife after getting a ransom from him. The drug dealer hires Matthew Scudder to find the men for him. But was this the only time the psychopaths have struck? And will they strike again...?

As the series goes by, Matthew Scudder goes up against sicker and sicker foes and gets put into worse and worse situations. Like usual, it makes the book a page turner because you can't wait to see him settle the bad guys's hash. The high points of this books were the development of the relationship between Scudder and TJ and the conflict in Elaine and Scudder's relationship. The introduction of The Kongs was a nice touch. I'll be anxious to see if they get used again in a later book. I was eager for Mick Ballou to return from Ireland, though I didn't miss him as much as Matt did.

The Matthew Scudder series continues to impress. I heartily recommend it to noir fans.
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk Among the Tombstones.

04/18/2010 page 1
show 13 hidden updates…

Kemper A drug dealer's file? I think the spell check is messing with you. Don't let it get away with it!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: "A drug dealer's file? I think the spell check is messing with you. Don't let it get away with it!"

Didn't notice that. I hate when people are talking to me about work when I'm trying to write a review.

Kemper Dan wrote: "Kemper wrote: "A drug dealer's file? I think the spell check is messing with you. Don't let it get away with it!"

I'm glad you have your priorities straight.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Writing reviews is way more important than working.

Brandon Dan wrote: "Writing reviews is way more important than working."

I second that.

message 6: by Apatt (last edited Jul 15, 2014 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Apatt I read this years ago. I thought I'd check out your excellent review as the movie adaptation is coming out soon. I've got to reread it I think.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I hope the movie is good. I'm afraid they'll turn it into an action movie since that's all Liam makes these days.

Apatt Dan wrote: "I hope the movie is good. I'm afraid they'll turn it into an action movie since that's all Liam makes these days."

Liam Neeson isn't how I picture Matt Scudder somehow. May be someone like Harrison Ford 10 years ago, or Bryan Cranston...

message 9: by Dan (last edited Jul 16, 2014 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Me either. Harrison Ford and Bryan Cranston are both good choices.