Heather Tisdale's Reviews > Voices of Dragons

Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn

2003692
Mar 20, 2010

Read on March 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I love that the book touches on prejudices and the fears that people have of people/ideas/things in general that are foreign to them. That, if it weren't for the bigots in this world, peace could be more of a possibility than it currently is. I'd love to use this book in class with a few others to initiate discussions of segregation, reservations, etc and have the kids relate it to actual historical events and the reasons behind people do things like this. What is it in human nature that makes us treat others the way we have. Whether it be placing Indians in reservations, policies of separate but equal, the slave trade, the Holocaust, etc. we're frequently motivated to wrong others because of our own fears. Or our own sense of superiority. It's hard to get them to read text books, or historical fiction, but books like this and other more fictional stories would be a more interesting approach for them. I look forward to trying it sometime, even if it's just an extra credit assignment, just to see what the students take away from doing a comparison project.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voices of Dragons.