Lea's Reviews > Stake That

Stake That by Mari Mancusi

Mar 29, 2010

Recommended for: 14 and up
Read from March 28 to 29, 2010

The first book in this series, Boys that Bite, told the story of what happened after Rayne's sister Sunny was accidentally bitten by a vampire who'd intended to bite Rayne. In book two, Rayne discovers that instead of the vampire that she has always longed to be, she's actually the chosen one, Slayer Inc.'s newest vampire slayer. Her first assignment: find out what evil vampire Maverick is up to as he plots to take down Magnus, the leader of the Blood Coven (and Sunny's boyfriend). Rayne teams up with Jareth, second in command to Magnus and a vampire who is not impressed with Rayne. Can Rayne slay the evil vampire and find out what is bothering Jareth in time to bump her way to a high spot on the vampire-to-be waiting list, or is it her destiny to be the slayer forever?

Although this book, like its predecessor, suffers from over-exaggerated teenspeak in the opening section, it quickly settles down to a more even keel. Also, the book is told first in the form of a blog and then as a diary, so it suffers a bit from the shallowness that is hard to avoid with that format. And Jareth and Magnus, though dreamy, are still not fully realized characters yet.

With that said, this book is still laugh-out-loud funny and a very enjoyable read. In fact, when I read it during silent reading my students kept turning around to stare at me because I was laughing so hard. I'm definitely going to keep reading this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stake That.