Kimberleigh's Reviews > Sorta Like a Rock Star

Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: 2010-releases, sad-stories, read-in-2010
Recommended to Kimberleigh by: Goodreads First Reads Winner!
Read from May 14 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Amber Appleton may live in a bus, and she may have an alcoholic mother, and things may seem bad, but Amber doesn't have the nickname the Princess of Hope for nothing. She's got an awesome cast of friends, a cute little pup, verbal battles with an old lady to win, a Korean choir to direct, and lots of hope that things will get better.

That is, until her mother gets murdered. Amber may not have appreciated her mom very much, but the death takes away her optimism and sends her into a depression. She stays in her room for weeks, giving up all hope, until her dog, BBB, gets cancer. You'll have to read it yourself to see how it goes from there.

This story was inspirational to me. I think that maybe most people would not read it because of how different Amber and her friends are, but I found that fuel to keep reading. I like that she could be a such an outcast but still be so happy. My favorite friend out of them all had to be Private Jackson. I really like the Joan of Old battles because it was just so... weird. In the best way.

If your looking for an inspirational, charming, funny read, look no further. This book will knock your socks off. (You might want to be warned that there is a big handful of language in this book.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorta Like a Rock Star.

05/14/2010 page 14
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joelle (new)

Joelle Anthony I was just thinking that maybe you should use the Goodreads option of hiding part of this review because it really has a bunch of spoilers. I'd already read the book, so it was fine for me, but others might get bummed finding out the twists from a review. Just a thought...I don't mean to be critical in any way.

message 2: by Kimberleigh (last edited Jun 19, 2010 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimberleigh oops, how could I forgot to mark it as a spoiler?! thanks for pointing that out :)

Arlene Great review Kimberly. I really enjoyed this book. Glad you did too. :)