Wm's Reviews > Gravity vs. the Girl

Gravity vs. the Girl by Riley Noehren

Mar 23, 10

bookshelves: whitney-award-finalists, romance-chick-lit
Read in March, 2010

Note: this is one of the novels I'm reading as a voter for the Whitney Awards. My rating and review may or may not be indicative of how I will cast my vote.

Although this book is up for a Whitney, it doesn't contain any overtly Mormon content. In fact, it's pretty straight up chick lit of the quirky, indie variety. And it's quite good at being that. Noehren's style has a lovely flow to it and some freshness to it (including some cute coinages) without being too precious. Yes, the love story is a bit predictable, but really, this is less about that and more about the main character, the protagonista putting her life back together and coming to terms with her past which sounds all Oprah-ey, but it's done in a charming, touching, witty way. I was all set to gives this three stars, but it's grown in stature in the week or so since I finished it.

My only major quibble is with the epilogue, which tied things up much too nicely.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity vs. the Girl.