J.L. Mbewe's Reviews > Blaggard's Moon

Blaggard's Moon by George Bryan Polivka

May 28, 10

Read in March, 2010

This book begins at the end and through flashbacks we learn why this pirate, Smith Delaney, is sitting on a post in a pond and awaiting his death by the terrible mermonkeys . Author, George Bryan Polivka, has done a masterful job in his use of the flashbacks. Through the wandering mind of Delaney, we embark on three stories: Damrick Fellows, the pirate hunter; Jenta, a young woman doing her best to play the cards she has been dealt; and of course, Delaney, a pirate contemplating his life and the choices he made.

At first I had difficulty getting into the book since most stories are told from a linear fashion, but soon I was swept up with the characters, the circumstances they found themselves in and the curiosity of what will happen, how will it resolve, and so forth. Characters were believable and the prose well written. On a side note, I find it interesting how many authors do not remain in one point of view for each scene as we newbie authors are being taught, but Mr. Polivka managed to slide smoothly between POV’s. There were a few times where I had to reread a sentence or two to determine who’s POV we were in, but then, of course, I’m a fast reader, eager to discover what happens next so I tend to skim. It’s a bad habit, I know, I’m trying to stop.

Blaggard’s Moon is a swashbuckling story of choices and consequences. Honor contrasts dishonor as the characters grabble with staying true no matter the cost. It is well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaggard's Moon.