Darcy's Reviews > Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown

Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: 2010, romantic-suspense
Read from March 20 to April 11, 2010

I finally finished this one. I had loaded it on my i-pod and it was the book I listened to while walking and only walking. It really did the trick of hooking me in because many days I walked the longer route because the book was getting so good and I was slightly disappointed when friends would call me to walk and I would have to talk to them instead of finding the latest happenings in the book.

Set in Charleston, this book is the story of Britt and Raley and their last 5 years, of friendship, secrets, betrayal, and career advancement. Britt is a reporter who is always on the lookout for her next big story, Raley a firefighter, the up and coming arson investigator. Their paths don't cross until one morning when Raley wakes up in bed with a dead woman who isn't his fiance. Suddenly he is a big story and who should be there but Britt.

Five years later a friend the 2 have in common calls Britt to meet him, says he has the story of a lifetime for her, of course she meets him. Unfortunately she becomes a star player in that story as she wakes up in bed with him and he is dead.

Britt protests her innocence and says she was given a date rape drug. Out in the woods, hiding for the last 5 years Raylee sees way too many similarities in their stories for it to be a coincidence and knows he must find a way to talk with Britt.

It is at this point that the twists and turns start coming in the book. It seems like every time you think you have the book figured out you realize you don't. Then comes the time when you know what is going to happen and you really hope that it is not true, that a person can not be that unfeeling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smoke Screen.

03/20/2010 "Good so far, makes my morning walk more interesting."
03/27/2010 page 207
52.01% "an odd book"
03/28/2010 "about halfway through and loving this one"