E.'s Reviews > Tropic of Cancer

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

Apr 30, 2007

Recommended for: Sophmores in college who recently finished "on the road" and want to really get wild
Read in November, 1999

When I read this for the first time I thought the world was opening up and eating people.

I wanted to get drunk and go on a hooker spree, to move to Paris and generally debauch for the rest of my 20's....

Then I realized I kind of wanted to do all this anyways but with Miller's aid I could and even better I could disguise the whole thing as "literary."

I struggled through Capricorn, through The Books in My Life, through a number of Miller's personal letters and musings. I even made a pilgrimage to Big Sur.

Then I picked up Richard Brautigan or "Cannary Row" or something and I realized I could skip Paris. I could skip Europe entirely. I could just drink wine on a bench in my back yard, throw on an old Bill Broonzy CD and stare at the sun. I could even meet a nice girl and keep her around for a while. No need for crabs or lice or bed bugs at all. No sir, just soft northern california sunlight and grassy knolls.

That was it. The dirty big city Miller hangovers were gone.....

Still, for a few months there, Miller was really really doing it for me. At the time it was true life changing stuff.

5 stars.
49 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tropic of Cancer.

04/30 marked as: read

message 1: by Katerina (new)

Katerina what a great review, thanks e tuck!

Emily I'm reading this because of your review

Alex Ha...your "recommended for" is hilarious.

Marius Hancu While reading Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller, you may want to see my questions related to it as answered in the alt.usage.english (AUE) Usenet newsgroup. My thanks to the participating AUE members. The focus of my questions was the language: rare words, funny or original expressions, special or strange constructs — as I saw them, from within my own idiosyncrasies.

message 5: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. Emily wrote: "I'm reading this because of your review"

I just saw this, almost 2 years later. Did you read ToC? I'd love to hear thoughts.

Arthur Cravan This is my favourite review on the book so far. Glad you found a direction.