Melissa's Reviews > The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty

The Tudors by G.J. Meyer

Mar 25, 10

Read from March 19 to 25, 2010

First and foremost this book chronicles the entire Tudor Reign, from Henry VII to Elizabeth I. It is detailed in historical fact and unlike a great many novels that center around the time period, I found it to be impartial and non judgmental about the historical figures it featured.

I learned a great deal more about Henry VIII and his children than I did from books by Alison Weir that I have had the pleasure of reading as well.

What I found most delightful about this book was that it was complete in that it thoroughly described the reigns of all of Henry VIII's children in a non romantic way. What I mean by that is that it described the good, the bad and the ugly about Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I's reigns.

Most books I have had the opportunity to lay my hands on portrayed Edward VI as a sickly puppet of a king, in retrospect, this book portrayed the intelligence and singularity that he carried with him.

Just as well... history sees Mary Tudor's reign as 'bloody' and Elizabeth's reign as 'a golden period' for the English people, mainly (per this biography)... due to propaganda than by fact.

The Tudors in general were anything but 'golden' or 'kind' in their attitudes toward their people. And so, if you want an honest and open minded non judgmental approach to the Tudor reign in England.

Pick up this book. It is an excellent and well researched historical book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tudors.

03/20/2010 page 263