Dan Schwent's Reviews > All the Flowers Are Dying

All the Flowers Are Dying by Lawrence Block

Mar 19, 2010

bookshelves: hardcase-writers, crime-and-mystery, 2010, block
Read from August 27 to 29, 2010

After framing an innocent man for three brutal murders, a killer from Matthew Scudder's past has resurfaced and means to get revenge on Matt and everyone he holds dear. Can Matthew find the killer before the killer finds him?

"Wow!" is the best way I can sum this one up. I've read that Block wrote this one to be the series ender and it easily could be. As usual, Block delivered the goods and had me guessing, even though I knew who the killer was when I opened the book. There was a red herring that I just couldn't ignore even though I was positive he wasn't the killer.

Matt's supporting cast is all there. The long-suffering Joe Durkin retires, Danny Boy Bell reveals he has prostate cancer, and Mick Ballou makes another cameo. Matt's finally carrying a cellphone which I find hilarious for some reason.

The chapters written from the killer's point of view are some cold, chilling stuff, just like in the previous volume. While I had a pretty good idea Scudder wasn't going to die, who knew who the killer would be taking to the grave with him? The whole Preston Applewhite angle showed what a sick bastard the killer was.

Block hit another home run with this one. Not to be missed by Matthew Scudder fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Flowers Are Dying.

08/27/2010 page 1
11/06/2016 marked as: read
show 11 hidden updates…

Apatt I think there is a sequel to this one but I haven't read it. Any ways All The Flowers is one of Block's best. "8 Million Ways to Die" is probably my favorite.

I once e-mailed Block a sort of fan-email and he actually replied. What a gent.

Great book, great review :)

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Apatt wrote: "I think there is a sequel to this one but I haven't read it. Any ways All The Flowers is one of Block's best. "8 Million Ways to Die" is probably my favorite.

I once e-mailed Block a sort of fan-e..."

Block's a good guy. There's one Scudder novel after this one and a collection of short stories. 8 Million Ways to Die is where the series really started taking off for me.

message 3: by Tfitoby (new)

Tfitoby Interesting. I'm sure somebody/many somebodies on GR has said his later work was nowhere near the standard they'd come to expect, which is the reason I put down book #15 yesterday instead of buying it. Drat!

I now presume they mean books written post-Scudder.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent You can't go wrong with the Scudder series. I'm fairly indifferent toward his Burglar books though.