Edan's Reviews > You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness

You Had Me at Woof by Julie Klam

May 13, 10

Recommended to Edan by: Julie Klam.
Recommended for: dog lovers, dogs, animal rescue workers, people who want a good vacay read.
Read from May 02 to 13, 2010

This book was big old bucket of adorable. If you love dogs, you'll find it immensely pleasing and heartwarming--and even if you don't love dogs, it's hard not to be seduced by Klam's humor and joie de vivre. I read a chapter every morning over cereal and coffee...it was a lovely way to begin each day. The opening chapters were particularly funny, as they document Ms. Klam's single life with her beloved Boston Terrier Otto, the first Boston she fell in love with. (And I thought Omar was spoiled!) The rest of the book illuminates just how many people and how much it takes to rescue, foster and find a dog a permanent home. Those who volunteer their time, space and hearts to these dogs are truly incredible, and this book does a great job of depicting their efforts.

My only real critique is that the self-help-style "lessons" at the end of each chapter felt a little forced, and unnecessary. I would've much rather have read a straightforward my-life-with-dogs memoir, without the framing device. Fortunately, as the book becomes more event-focused and subject-driven (about rescues), the framing device falls away somewhat, or, the lessons complement the chapters more, and the book reads more smoothly.

Overall, this was a delightful read.

Omar is reading the book now, and says, "I love it! Bacon!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Had Me at Woof.

dateDown_arrow    newest »