Jayme's Reviews > The Age of Innocence

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010, audio, pullitzer-prize
Read from June 14 to 18, 2010, read count: 1

I think what I loved most about this book was reading about the differences between New York and European culture. It was weird to read the way the characters thought of their home town (New York) to be quaint and dull in comparison to the busy cultured life of Europe. They certainly don't have that kind of attitude about themselves these days.

But that wasn't the only thing I loved, because I loved just about everything in this book. It had such amazing characters and beautiful writing. And I think that its being written by a woman helped the female characters to seem better rounded than most of the literature written at the time. I'm still not sure about the ending, it was...abrupt, but I think that was a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Innocence.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex Ooh, my wife says this is the best book ever.

Jayme I'm about half way through, I really like it, but I can't vouch for best book ever.

Alex That thread on Anna Karenina reminds me that I formerly claimed my wife said that was the best book ever. She gave up on re-reading it and now says she's changed her mind, Karenina's not as good as she thought it was, so now it's this.

Jayme Well I'm about 3/4 through now, and I still don't think it's the best book ever. I kind of think it's over rated, but I'm still really enjoying it, if that makes sense. Everyone makes such a big deal out of Edith Wharton, so I had super high expectations, and it's no better or worse than a lot of the books I've read from that time period. I will say that it has a much better

Not that I should judge your wife's taste. You should be so lucky to know what I consider the best book ever. But I won't embarrass myself by saying.

Alex Yeah, well, some of these books get so hyped that it can be nowhere near as good as they say and still be awfully good. It does make sense.

Not that I've ever read those, but I can judge from a position of total ignorance almost as well as an Arizonan. There.

Jayme Yay, I've been understood! And then a sentence later mocked. But I stand by my love for all things Fionavar Tapestry, so there.

Alex Happy to do both, Jayme.

Jayme Chapter 32 kicked ass!! That might have just bumped this book into a 5 star read for me.

Kaion I liked it more than I thought I would, but still think it went on for awful long (for a guy who just wimped out).

Jayme Ha, that's a good point!