Elisa Ramblings's Reviews > Moving On

Moving On by Fabian Black

Jan 16, 11

Read in January, 2011

I bought this book some months ago, with another one from the same author, since I like to try test new authors. I haven’t read it soon since I was overwhelmed by books and since it was listed as a BDSM story and while sometime I like them, this theme is not really my cup of tea. I’m now regretting of not having read this story sooner since I enjoyed it a lot and I can recommend the novel to a wider target, BDSM fans and not.

First of all I would like to highlight something that usually is not one of my top priority, mainly since being English not my language, I’m not really able to identify/recognize a good writing style. But I think I can safely state that Moving On has indeed a very good writing style, rich and tidy, with each word at his right place; I think the writing style well respects one of the character, Thomas, the older Dom who is taking care of his younger sub, Andrew.

Andrew and Thomas’s story didn’t really start as a D/s relationship: Andrew was a drifter, without home and work who was wandering under the rain one winter day; Thomas offered him a ride to nowhere, and Andrew fainted in his car due to a very bad cold. That was the starting of their relationship, where it was obvious that Thomas was the caretaker and Andrew a very troubled boy who needed a fatherly figure to lead him. Andrew doesn’t want to respect Thomas’s rule, not since he doesn’t like them, but since he wanted to be punished; Andrew’s guilty is huge and needs to be damped with discipline.

This is not really a D/s situation, but more a “daddy” type of story; it’s for sure a May/December theme, and it’s clear that Thomas’s attractive for Andrew is not something physical but emotional. Andrew needs Thomas’s stability, Thomas is firm but gentle. Also the pain/pleasure games between them are not really a game: Thomas disciplines Andrew when he is not behaving well, and his method is simply a spanking, with bare hand or paddle, but nothing more. Andrew’s biggest punishment is to be confined in his room, or forced to take a hot bath, something that I don’t understand why Andrew doesn’t like if not to make a point.

I was really surprised of how much I enjoyed this story, it doesn’t happen often to me with a new author, above all not with a genre that I usually read but that is not my favourite. I think that both characters are really good, Thomas is so good that I’d really like to meet him, even if I suppose he is not a simple man to like. Andrew is a brat, but not for play or for being spoiled, he is simply a man without a clear drive, and it’s clear that he is really in love with both Thomas than his cat Bob. By the way, the cat Bob is one of the most wonderful and funny pet characters I have ever found in a book.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moving On.