Amanda's Reviews > Burndive

Burndive by Karin Lowachee

Oct 02, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi, military-sci-fi, favorites
Read from August 15 to 16, 2010

I trust that if you're reading this, then you've already read Warchild. If you haven't, then stop reading now....seriously. There was a significant gap between the time I finished Warchild and the time I finally got around to reading Burndive, and I'll admit that I mainly put off finishing the series because Jos wasn't the main character. Silly, right? I'm a little peeved at myself for waiting so long because I think the stories are best appreciated when they are all read in a close time frame. Burndive follows the story of Captain Azarcon's son, Ryan, and the timeline begins around the time that Jos joined the Jets in Warchild and then continues past the ending of the first book. It's very interesting to see another character's point of view on the events that you're already a little familiar with. I definitely enjoyed that aspect of the storyline and the addition it made to the world building. I wasn't thrilled with the main character at first because he's quite whiny, but he grew on me as he developed through the book. As far as how this compares to Warchild, it's definitely different. Warchild challenged my emotions through gritty situations, and I became emotionally invested in seeing how Jos dealt with everything. Burndive is full of emotional turmoil, but not in the same dark way that Warchild is. Burndive is more about Ryan's journey of trying to connect with his father and work out his own personal demons. I enjoyed it because of those slightly different directions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burndive.