Christy B's Reviews > Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage

Aug 11, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, historical-romance, neo-victorian
Read in July, 2010

Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage is book #2 in the Highland Pleasures series by Jennifer Ashley. I just recalled that I never reviewed book #1 The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. In short, I loved it. You can read a summary of the book here.

Back to book #2. Unfortunately, I did not love it like the previous installment. The book is about Mac Mackenize and his estranged wife Isabella, whom he is trying to woo back after three years of being separated. From reading The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, their story sounded interesting, and I was looking forward to this book to find out what happens to them. However, when I got to know their story, I wasn't that much interested anymore. There wasn't a whole lot of tension. Just Mac acting like a desperate sick puppy every time Isabella was around. There was a side story of a madman going around pretending to be Mac, selling forgeries of his paintings, burning down his house and all that awful stuff. I wish there were more of that, but instead there was the back and forth between Mac and Isabella, which I normally would have loved, but it frustrated me in this case.

I disliked how Isabella kept leading Mac on, only to pull back at the last minute. I was like, make up your mind, lady! And the end of the book made me roll my eyes. Romance novels usually always have happy endings and this one did too, but it was just nauseating. I was so glad when I turned the last page.

Since this is a series, I will finish it. Book #3 comes out next year and is about Cameron Mackenize. At the end of this book, there was an exert from the next book and it sounds a bit interesting. I am intrigued.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage.

Jenny Q I didn't like this one as much as Lord Ian, either, though I gave it 3 stars. I thought all of the scenes with Mac painting were awfully sexy. And I thought the teaser for Cam's story was great! I'll definitely read it.