AJ Conroy's Reviews > Parenting, Inc.: How the Billion-Dollar Baby Business Has Changed the Way We Raise Our Children

Parenting, Inc. by Pamela Paul

Apr 09, 10

Read from March 18 to April 09, 2010

Not crazy about her other books (bit of wacko), but this one was informative and reasonable. I've already found it helpful in navigating the baby crap traps. It's like the wedding racket, only the wedding industry appeals to a brides hopes and fantasies. The baby industry preys on one's fears. The ads in baby magazines are awful-- buy our product or your baby could die, you cheapstake! There are no DIY baby books like there are for weddings. There is no virtue in rational purchasing. It's hard not to feel like a sucker after you realize there is no need to buy a bassinet, a pack n play and a crib like the "must have" lists direct. Don't get me started on wipe warmers. Life is cruel and sometimes your butt will be cold for a few second. Suck it up, baby.

That said (or ranted), the author does point out products and services that are useful and worth the money, or that are supported by repeatable clinical results.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parenting, Inc..