Marsia's Reviews > Flesh and Blood

bookshelves: family-sagas
Recommended to Marsia by: nobody
Recommended for: nobody
Read from March 03 to 20, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

FLESH AND BLOOD took me a long time to read because I put it aside and read two other books, then came back to it, determined to finish it.

Unless I'm mistaken, this was Cunningham's second novel, and I count myself among his fans, and there were several good moments, but generally it's a family saga about a group of characters for whom I just couldn't work up much enthusiasm or interest. From the first chapter, set in 1935, through 1995--plus a final chapter set in the future--it follows Greek immigrant Constantine, Mary, his ever-unhappy wife, and his three children: Susan (Miss Almost Perfect), Billy/Will (the Gay Rebel), and Zoe (the Flower Child) as they grow up and grow old. Some of them have children of their own, and some of them die. No startling insights, no fresh approaches to any of these decades or stereotypes, none of the brilliant prose Cunningham would be known for writing later in THE HOURS.

Ah, well, they can't all be masterpieces, huh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flesh and Blood.

03/18/2010 page 411
88.39% "After a break, am nearing the end and am finally liking the characters; now know I'll finish this one but at one point I had my doubts."