Joe's Reviews > Boy's Life

Boy's Life by Robert McCammon

Nov 23, 07

This is a fairly entertaining novel that reads more like a collection of loosely connected stories held together by the common thread of the murder mystery that haunts Cory's father.

Characters appear and disappear that have no bearing on the outcome of the novel. Event occurs that do not further the story along. Even the death of one major character halfway through is pretty lackluster. That character could have stayed alive and it would not have altered the story at all.

Nemo Curtiss and his amazing throwing arm was a great character but he's out of the story before you know it. I wished there was more of Old Moses. I was hoping he would have played a greater role in the story than his one and only appearance during the flood. And the mystery is solved, or rather we're told who did it by perpetually nude Vernon Thaxter 3/4 of the way into the novel. Then there's another 1/4 to go through before getting to the conclusion.

Essentially the story could have been told in half the length but it is very entertaining, fantastical and fun. It's not a horror story but rather a murder mystery peppered with fantasy and the supernatural. A good read but I wouldn't read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy's Life.