Tricia's Reviews > Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures

Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule

Mar 18, 10

Read in March, 2010

I mostly skimmed the book, reading the section intros and looking at the projects. I found a handful of projects I might do, but the majority were not really new ideas for me. I read the rag rug instructions in detail, but couldn't figure out how the lacing was to be done - do you stitch the two closest edges together, the same (outer to outer), or opposites? A picture or diagram would have helped immensely - as it is, i'lI have to search for directions online, which seems silly if you've bought a how-to book. That is one of my dissatisfactions with the book - it shows the completed project, maybe in that off-kilter or extreme close-up style that seems so popular these days, but very few in-process or tricky detail shots. i do appreciate her emphasis on reuse and "upcycling," but that wasn't really novel to me either (and maybe not to most people who read this?) Nice enough book, but not one I feel the need to buy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Handmade Home.