Tobinsfavorite's Reviews > National Velvet

National Velvet by Enid Bagnold

F_50x66
Mar 18, 10

read count: twice

I read this a long time ago, twice. It's funny to think how often I read a book, every word, even though I understood so little of it, and then went back a few months or years later and enjoyed the book thoroughly. This one, I had gotten from a school book order with every expectation of another horse adventure, and I was a bit dismayed that there were no horses right away, except for paper ones, and much discussion of a young girl's retainer. (I didn't even know what the author was talking about the first time.) I am reminded of this book these days because of those paper horses and how they relate to my child's collection of paper CDs.
The second time through, I understood much more of this book and liked it much, much better. It's wildly implausible how horses start to fall into this girl's lap, and having been a little girl who wanted horses, I was much peeved that the cost of boarding them was never an issue for her family. Nonetheless, the book is a classic, and if my memory is good, the characters are strong and interesting. If you don't like horses or determined personal growth, then I would say skip it, but if those topics don't turn you off, you ought to read this once at least. You're allowed to see the movie, but much was changed for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read National Velvet.