Andy Lee's Reviews > The Year of the Dog

The Year of the Dog by Grace Lin

Mar 24, 10

Read from March 16 to 24, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

The Year of the Dog is a fun fast paced book about a Taiwanese/Chinese- American girl trying to find her identity in the Year of the Dog.

It cleverly discusses issues that many Asian kids confront as they grow up such as: having an Asian name and an American name, fitting in with the culture of your heritage and the American, and so on.

Ms. Lin in an afterword adds that the story is the book she wanted to read when she was younger and I agree. Having a book like this would've been helpful, although the next level would be to include some struggles that immigrants go through as well. In this book, the family's father is a doctor and the book is essentially without conflicts. I think adding that bit of realism to a pretty good story would be the book that I needed when I was younger. To show the struggles and discuss how they are overcome or at least dealt with.

I liked how the book encompassed an entire lunar year, and I think this is a good read, well worth your time to read 130 pages with some great illustrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Dog.