Simay Yildiz's Reviews > Lover Mine

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi-magic
Read from June 10 to July 16, 2010

Two words: JOHN MATTHEW.

We'd met him in Lover Eternal, the second book of the series, when he was a tiny, mute kid living on his own in a destroyed apartment building, carrying a big secret. Now, though, he's become a strong, powerful vampire fighting with the Blind King and the Brotherhood. Oh, and, he's in love.

What I love about this series is that in each book we get to know more and more about particular characters while we meet new ones, new mysteries build up while the older ones resolve. Even though they're all written in the third person, Ward switches points of view in such a crafty way that we usually get to live the important parts of events twice, each more exciting than the other. The way she lays out the chapters and the sequence of events makes you whoosh through a chapter and keep going just so you can find out what's going to happen next.

Most of the time, when I was reading about the lessers (the Brotherhood's enemies), I used to try to read quickly so I could get back to the vampires. Since Lash joined them, though, even they've gotten a lot more exciting. Especially in this book, Lash has so much to do with everything that instead of thinking "Die already," I found myself think, "Oh, they're so coming to getcha!" And he's even fun at certain points, which doesn't make him any less evil, but impossible to ignore and even enjoy.

I liked the way Xhex and John's romance worked out: she's a powerful, kinda manly-featured assassin who is used to taking care of herself and not letting anyone in. He's been in love with her ever since the first time he saw her, but he also knows who she is and doesn't expect anything from her. That's doesn't mean, of course, that he doesn't find her and save her and revenge her and give her what she wants. And it's a good thing he does because that's how she realizes that she, too, is in love with him. Most of the hard times they went through in the past bring them together, as well as other surprising things that I'm not going to get into here.

As much as I love John Matthew and loved seeing the world through his eyes, another super-exciting part of the book for me was the relationship between Qhuinn and Blay: it's as if they started cracking and soon there will be a big explosion, which I cannot wait for. I hear Ward's discussing with her editors whether or not they should get their own book or just a novella, and I honestly think they deserve their own book: whoever has a problem with gay characters should feel free to not read it.

Having said that, though, it does look like the next one will be Payne's--The Scribe Virgin's daughter-- book. Up to now it's been the brothers, and not it's going to be a female related to the Brotherhood. It might reveal more about The Scribe Virgin and what she had been up to (no good!), but I'm afraid we're gonna lose John Matthew, whom I'm used to being around. Hopefully J.R. Ward's dedication at the beginning of the book will keep its promise:

I cannot believe you and I have come so far.
Your book is not a goodbye, however--
just another beginning.
But you're used to that...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Mine.

07/12/2010 page 264

message 1: by Merve (new)

Merve  Özcan you make me curious because of you ı cant finish the books :D his thoughts make me delirious so much thing he thinks and so little reflect them.

Simay Yildiz Merve- wrote: "you make me curious because of you ı cant finish the books :D his thoughts make me delirious so much thing he thinks and so little reflect them."

Aww well you're definitely going to enjoy how things build up to his book: it's amazing to see the transformation. :)

message 3: by Merve (new)

Merve  Özcan Bu kitabı gerçekten okumak istiyorum ama önce diğer 3 kitabı da okumak lazım.