Lara's Reviews > 31 Bond Street

31 Bond Street by Ellen Horan

Mar 29, 10

bookshelves: for-harper-collins, 2010
Read from March 18 to 20, 2010

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and I'm not quite sure why I didn't give it 4 stars instead of just 3. 31 Bond Street is the story of a murder that occurred in New York in the mid-1800s, specifically, on Bond Street. Because the present-day Bond Street just so happens to house a positively delicious sushi restaurant (check it out here: http://www.bondstrestaurant.com/), I craved sushi the whole time I read this. Let's all shout a big "BOO!" to whatever it is that makes eating sushi when pregnant such a bad thing, okay? BOO! BOO, I say!!

Anyway. This book is great! A dentist is found dead in his home. The #1 suspect is Emma Cunningham, a widower with two daughters who has been living in the house as the official "housemistress" (which, apparently, doesn't automatically equate to "call girl" but, in Emma's case, kind of does). When Emma learns she is a suspect, she produces a certificate of marriage to the victim, which complicates matters significantly. The book takes us readers through the story of Emma's relationship to the deceased, the life of her lawyer and his wife, the various sketchy deals the victim was involved in, and more.

I definitely recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 31 Bond Street.