Janina's Reviews > The Unwritten Rule

Mar 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, contemporary, romance
Read on October 20, 2010

One thing right at the beginning: I’m a huge fan of Elizabeth Scott. So this rating might be influenced a tiny bit by that ;).

All in all, I really enjoyed The Unwritten Rule, but when compared to Scott’s other YA romance novels, it is probably the weakest. It was a quick read and definitely kept my attention, but it wasn’t particularly memorable when I look back at it now. I probably won’t go back to re-read it as I’ve done with Bloom, Perfect You or Something Maybe and it doesn’t have the original plot of Stealing Heaven.

What I liked: Sara’s relationship to her parents. It was nice to see a teenaged heroine who got along well with her family and whose family made up a huge aspect of her life. It was a change to see a girl who sometimes preferred to hang out at home instead of going out with her friends.
The chemistry Sara and Ryan had was great as well. Lots of swoon-worthy scenes between the two.
What I didn’t like so much: Sara’s best friend, Brianna, is too much on the mean girl side. We get glimpses of her problems and why she might have become the person she is, but in the end, she behaves terribly and I didn’t feel sorry for her – or mad at Sara – at all. I think this story would have had much more to it if Brianna had been a better friend. Then I as the reader would actually have had the possibility to sympathise with her.

**Attention, small spoiler**

What I couldn’t understand: If Ryan was so in love with Sara, why didn’t he break up with Brianna sooner? Or why did they become a couple in the first place? I mean, pity certainly can’t be the reason to be together with someone for so long.

****

All in all, a cute little story, but I missed the complexity I found in Scott’s other novels. Here, we are focused completely on the Oh-my-god-I’m-in-love-with-my-best-friend’s-boyfriend-what-should-I-do storyline; other aspects of Sara’s life are almost non-existent. Still, I enjoyed the read while it lasted, therefore the three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten Rule.

Jessica Glad you liked it :-)
Your book arrived today btw...

Janina Yeah, it was a very quick read (it does have only 200 pages after all). I picked it up yesterday evening and finished it right away. What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Elizabeth Scott ;). Glad the whole swapping thing worked. Hope you'll like Forgive My Fins, too!

Arlene Glad you liked this one too Janina. Gotta be careful with Scott though. She has one book out there that will leave you scarred. @.@

~Tina~ I thought this was cute. Glad you liked:)

Janina I know, Arlene. It's the only one of her books I haven't read yet, I think (at least of those that have been out for a while). I'm not sure if I should give it a try ...

Arlene Don't read it Janina. Your brain is in a better place than mine now that I have that stuck in there. It's really not a book that can be enjoyed in any way shape or form. Awful!

message 7: by Jessica (last edited Oct 21, 2010 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jessica Yep, I'm glad, too that everything worked out! :o)

What other book are you guys talking about? So far, I liked what I've read by Scott. Perfect You and Something Maybe are my favorites <3

message 8: by Nic (new)

Nic I believe Arlene is talking about Living Dead Girl. Am I right Arlene?

Jessica Hmm, seeing as I already own a copy, I will probably read it sometime...

message 10: by Flannery (new)

Flannery If I try this author out, which one is the best start?

And great review, Janina!

message 11: by Janina (last edited Jan 09, 2011 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janina Out of those books of hers I read, Perfect You was my favourite.

I also really liked Stealing Heaven, especially because of the idea it's based on: The main character and her mother are thieves moving from one city to the next, and in one town the MC starts making friends and falls for a guy despite the somewhat difficult circumstances.

Something Maybe was great, too, but I found the family aspect a bit over the top (The MC's father is some strange Hugh Heffner guy, complete with playboy bunnies, a great mansion and a reality show).

Love You Hate You Miss You deals with heavier issues, it's about a girl whose best friend died in a car accident (and she was driving). I didn't like it too much, though, but I can't really pinpoint why.