Kathy's Reviews > Roses

Roses by Leila Meacham

F 50x66
Mar 18, 10

Read in March, 2010

So my friend called me a book snob and I think she is right! I really tried with this book - I read it all the way through when there were more interesting books calling out my name, but I could not really find anything in it that I liked.

A big, sweeping, overly dramatic saga straight out of the Gone With the Wind playbook, Roses is the story of Texas tycoons, plantations, birthrights, love, and secrets. Everything you would expect to find in this genre of book is there, and more. All the characters are cardboard cut-outs, the dialogue is full of cliches, and the story is completely predictable.

I folded down a page which had an example of the overblown writing and to my surprise, found that the very same paragraph is on the back cover of the book! Here is a small sample:

"No way in tarnation would she sacrifice Somerset for the sake of male pride! But...she loved Percy. He was a thorn in her side she couldn't pull out, no matter how hard she tried."
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roses.

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley I don't think I've ever seen the word tarnation in a book. I enjoyed your review!

Kathy Thanks! - wish I had enjoyed the book!

Michelle I completely agree! Should have read this before I trudged through this terrible, too-long book.