Laura's Reviews > Shadow Lines

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: hf-india, 1001-books-you-must-read-before-you, read-2011
Recommended to Laura by: Chrissie
Read on August 21, 2011

I must agree with Sandybanks review, the plot is quite confusing and the only engrossing character is the grand-mother who plays the main role in this narrative.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Lines.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Grace Tjan It's a beginner's novel. His writing skills obviously improved in subsequent novels. Btw, have you read River of Smoke?

Laura not yet but it seems I should read Sea of Poppies first, isn't? Thanks for the clarification Sandy since I did love The Glass Palace, one of the best books books I read this year.

Grace Tjan Laura wrote: "not yet but it seems I should read Sea of Poppies first, isn't? Thanks for the clarification Sandy since I did love The Glass Palace, one of the best books books I read this year."

Yes, you should read Sea of Poppies first. It's a great read, much better
than Glass Palace.

Laura Sandybanks wrote: "Laura wrote: "not yet but it seems I should read Sea of Poppies first, isn't? Thanks for the clarification Sandy since I did love The Glass Palace, one of the best books books I read this year."

Y..."

really?? I'll try to get Sea of Poppies as soon as possible. Thanks for the tip Sandy.

Grace Tjan Laura wrote: "Sandybanks wrote: "Laura wrote: "not yet but it seems I should read Sea of Poppies first, isn't? Thanks for the clarification Sandy since I did love The Glass Palace, one of the best books books I ..."

It's great but also quite challenging because of the extensive use of the Anglo Indian dialect. But there's a glossary at the end of the book, and also on Ghosh's website. And it ends in a cliffhanger.

IMO, it's Ghosh's best book to date.

message 6: by Laura (last edited Aug 23, 2011 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura thank you so much Sandy, your comments are always invaluable on this matter.