Janina's Reviews > Mistborn

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Mar 18, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from January 06 to 10, 2011

"But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope."

This book has been sitting on my shelf for ages, feeling neglected and collecting dust. I’ve noticed that I’m always a little hesitant to pick up epic fantasy novels, just because sometimes, they tend to be a bit long-winded, harder to get into than my beloved YA books and – let’s face it – especially first books in trilogies are sometimes boring at the beginning. All the world building, introduction of the characters … can drag on a little.

Not at all the case in this one. The world Brandon Sanderson has created definitely is a complex one, but also one I found utterly fascinating and interesting. The city of Luthadel – and the whole Final Empire – is a bleak and cruel place. All green has vanished from the earth; ash falls from the sky and the population suffers under the reign of the Lord Ruler and his Inquisitors. The god-like emperor has claimed the throne one thousand years ago, and since then, the common people (called skaa) have been enslaved, bereft of joy and willpower. Rape and murder at the hands of noblemen are not uncommon and overlooked by the authorities as long as the mess is cleaned up afterwards. All in all, this makes for a setting that is not always easy to stomach: A world with almost no hope left.
But there are still people who have not given up. A group of thieves plans their greatest coup: The overthrow of the empire, the liberation of the skaa population and, last but not least, the death of the Lord Ruler …

The first instalment of Sanderson’s Mistborn trilogy follows exactly these thieves. And they make for great characters. To be honest, Mistborn is among the most character-driven epic fantasy novels I have read in a while. Characters to laugh and suffer with, characters that grow and change, characters I thought about a lot (also: characters I desperately hoped wouldn’t die at the end … Yes, Mr. Sanderson, I am still a bit mad about that!).
Additionally, Mistborn has one of the most original magic concepts I ever read about and offers interesting observations about the workings of religion and society.
What makes people believe and how can you give hope to those who have been oppressed for ages, those whose rebellions have failed every single time? Can you make them stand up again? Or are they really lost? What makes a society and its economy thrive and what, on the other hand, can destroy it?
All those aspects are interwoven in a story not only full of suspense, intrigue and fight, but also of friendship, trust and love.

A great novel, totally worth every single one of its 647 pages! Never found it boring or slow and certainly won’t forget it anytime soon. I really don’t know why I didn’t read it earlier.

#1 TBR Pile Reduction Challenge (Thank you for picking this one for me, Olivia! Probably might have missed out on this great piece of fantasy for months to come otherwise.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistborn.

Quotes Janina Liked

Brandon Sanderson
“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”
Brandon Sanderson, The Final Empire

Brandon Sanderson
“Though, if you think about it, hostile, dethroned pseudodeities probably make disagreeable neighbors. You'll have to figure out something to do with him.”
Brandon Sanderson, The Final Empire

01/07/2011 page 84
13.0% 2 comments
01/08/2011 page 232
36.0% "This is fantasy how I like it. Complex worldbuilding and an interesting magic concept, but never boring or slow. And I simply love Kelsier's humour." 2 comments
01/10/2011 page 547
85.0% "I'm becoming a bit scared. Hopefully, the author won't kill off too many of my beloved characters at the end ..."
show 1 hidden update…

Janina Wow, this has an incredibly high average rating. Almost 4.4 ...

message 2: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Huh...looking forward to your review! :)

Janina It might take a while. This book looks really small, but it has 650 pages and a very small print. I'm ashamed to say that it has been a while since I've read such a thick book. All those YAs mostly only have around 300 pages ...

message 4: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Yeah, I know what you mean...I was shocked to see that Saving Francesca is a really slim volume, too!

I hope you'll like The Final Empire because if it's good you'll be happy about the small print and 650 pages :D

oliviasbooks It was that good, Jessi. I didn't even remember it was that voluminous before I chose it for Janina's challenge.

Flannery Oooh, I'm excited for your review. I've only read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson and it looks like he has more great stuff considering your 5 stars:) The book I am reading now opens with a thank you to Brandon Sanderson (who I guess is the author's friend)--it made me even more excited to read it!

oliviasbooks Lalalala ... I challenge you to read "Wild Magic" next, Janina.

Janina Yep, just saw it in the thread over at the corner. Looking forward to it, I was actually planning on reading it soon.

Flannery, if you are intersted in other books by Sanderson: You can download a free version of Warbreaker on his homepage (http://www.brandonsanderson.com/draft...).

Blue**Lily I loved your review! ☺

message 10: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Great review Janina! This TBR reduction challenge really seems to be working well for us! :)

message 11: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I usually skip these books for the same reason Janina, I never had any luck with them so far, but I will give this a shot.

Love the review!

message 12: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I'm usually hesitant about fantasy, but when it's written well ... ahem, ahem... Finnikin of the Rock... I love them. I'm going to look for this book. Great review!

Janina Thank you! Yeah, the challenge is going extremely well. And I really, really hope it's going to help me reduce me pile. I'm up to 49 :(.

message 14: by Arlene (new)

Arlene It's already gotten me to read a book I've had on my shelf for months. I think it's going well too. :)

Shera (Book Whispers) I'm going to have to break the shrink wrap on my box set collection of these and read them!

Your review makes me so excited!!