vylit's Reviews > An Ice Cold Grave

Mar 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, fiction, mystery
Read in March, 2010

I loved the first two books in the series so much that I wanted to like this one too.

Up until this point, Tolliver and Harper's relationship has been the best thing about the series, and while I am happy that Harris chose to actually move their relationship from subtext to text, I needed things to move a bit slower to be believable for me. Whether the characters are blood relatives or not, they have interacted and related to each other as brother and sister for many years at this point, and still think of each other as brother and sister, which makes the jump from I'm attracted to you to having sex two seconds later a little fast for me.

Additionally, the slip into couplehood without much attention paid to the possible detrimental affects that this change in their relationship status could have on them was strange. And the fact that they were so quick to tell others also struck me as odd. I mean, they've introduced themselves as brother and sister forever, so the move away from that was just far too abrupt for me.

And honestly, I found it strange and off-putting the way the characters in Harris' novels find the rape and torture of men to be so much more horrific than the rape and torture of women.

That being said, the confrontation in the woods was terrifying, I love that the Nita Hamilton woman was so badass and capable, and I think Manfred and Xylda add so much to the stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Ice Cold Grave.