Kj's Reviews > Tender Morsels

Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: favorites, own-it
Read in December, 2010

This may be the best book I have ever read or ever will read.

Yes, there are my Jane Eyre's and Jayber Crow's and JRR Tolkein's, but there is something about this raw, unrelenting, fairy tale-of-truth that occupies a space no book may be ever able to enter. Or rather, it created a space no other story may ever be able to return me to. I've never read a book that is at once so horrifically truthful and so invitingly magical. When people speak of fantasy as a distillation and deeper reflection of reality, this is the book they don't yet know they are describing.

Written as both a reaction against and interpretation of the Grimm's tale "Snow White and Rose Red," Tender Morsels is a story about the deepest desires of the human heart and the most violent abuses of human depravity. The prose is as poetic as it is visceral. The book is like red wine: it's fluid, bold, earthy, pungent, can make you feel tipsy with desire or make you want to throw up, dizzy and nauseated from over-saturation.

The story deserves to be discovered as it's read, so I won't go into plot. But suffice to say, you will encounter characters that blaze with heat and beauty, stupidity and brutality, as well as soul-magic and heart-truth.

I've never sobbed helplessly and forlornly while reading, but Tender Morsels had me gasping for breath. Still, I did not want it to end.

Read this book.
You will be changed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender Morsels.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LaLa What a lovely, and spot-on review Friend! I'm so glad to hear that Lanagan transported you the way she did me. Amazing.