Zinger's Reviews > The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates

The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention ... by Ralph Louis Ketcham

Mar 17, 2010

bookshelves: 2010
Read in October, 2010

I really enjoyed reading the Anti-Federalist Papers. Before reading the book, I had thought of those who didn’t sign the Constitution at the Convention as …not bright enough to get it. Great men, but just a little short compared to those that signed. Now having read the arguments against, I realized that these men were patriots and statesmen who contributed much by their voice of caution and their criticisms. This resistance I feel helped improve the dialogue, discussions, and ultimately the content of the U.S. Constitution, as well as a better understanding among the general public.

Many of their fears were quite valid, such as the federal government swallowing up the sovereignty of the States, and the possibility of direct taxes on the people, and many more. Today we can see the fruitation of many of their concerns.

Probably one of the single most devastating injuries to the U.S. Constitution was the passage of the 17th Amendment. This has opened up the doors for much of the fears of the Anti-Federalists to come about. I personally think both the Federalist and the Anti-Federalists would unite in condemning the 17th Amendment as destroying the separation of powers and checks and balances the original Constitution was intended to have. I think both the Federalist and the Anti-Federalist had the freedoms and liberties of this nation at heart.

Now I need to go back and read both the Federalist and Anti-Federalists Papers at the same time and cross reference them to really get a handle on them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates.

message 1: by Bliss (new)

Bliss Tew I admire you for studying the two sides of the Constitutional debate.