Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Mar 17, 2010

bookshelves: all-fiction, america, five-star-fiction, to-be-read-again, pyoo-litzers
Read in April, 2010

GRAND! Just abso-fooking-lutely grand from start to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonesome Dove.

03/18/2010 page 72
03/23/2010 page 329
34.81% "McMurtry's character development is first rate. And he makes it appear so effortless!"
03/24/2010 page 405
42.86% "I'm trying not to go through this too quickly, because I know I'll be bummed out when it's over."
03/28/2010 page 558
59.05% "I had to pull out my atlas so I could keep track of all the rivers and towns. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas...and soon, Nebraska."
03/29/2010 page 698
73.86% 2 comments
04/01/2010 page 835
88.36% "They FINALLY made it to Montana. What a harrowing trip!" 3 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Ryan wrote: "I've been wanting to read this forever!"

Me too. I've had a paperback copy sitting around, so yesterday I picked it up and started in, not paying attention to the length. I thought it was maybe 600 or 700 pages, but it's almost 1,000!! Oh, well, not a library book, so I can take my time...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Ryan wrote: "1,000 pages ...hmmm, sounds like it'll be a lazy-day summer read for me."

Perfect. You could whip through it in a coupla days, no problem! ;-)

NancyL Luckey I loved this book, too. And I loved the movie more! The casting was fantastic. Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Nancy, I'm planning to watch the movie someday, but I want to wait awhile. I don't want my memories of the book to get tangled up with the movie. Sounds crazy, I know, but I'm very attached to the characters the way I've created them in my mind. What a book nerd I am! ;-)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) Yay, another rave review from you on a book I've planned to read for awhile now!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" This is one you most definitely need to acquire rather than get from the library, Teresa. You'll want to take your time.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) Pretty sure I have this somewhere around here. I have about 4 big paper bags full of books from my aunt. I just need to look for this, haha.