Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)'s Reviews > The Replacement

Mar 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: own-ab, yst, ya
Read in December, 2010

So, this isn't going to be funny, because, well, I'm just not that good!

This books is dark but not quite depressing, and it really didn't seem to have much of a point.

It went a little something like this:

Hero gets sick.
Creepy freak tells hero he is dying.
Hero gets sick again.
Sister makes a deal with creepy freaks.
Hero is blackmailed by the creepy freaks.

We get a little heroine action, thank God, because Mackie isn't much of a hero. He basically just floats around pretending the world doesn't exist.

Hero gets sick again, because that's what he does best, apparently. He's especially good a puking, which he does pretty much every half an hour. Now, I wouldn't hold this against him, but...he isn't HEROIC...he's sort of pathetic, just sitting around while his friends fight his battles for him.

Roswell is an amazing friend, who I'm not even sure Mackie really deserves. I mean, why does a cool, awesome guy like Roswell hang out with Mackie? Mackie basically sucks the life and fun out of everything. Anyway, though, Roswell is the real hero of this book. He saves Mackie's butt while Mackie sat around and waited to die. Tate, our heroine, is way more kick-butt.

I think there are points in here that are supposed to be funny, but just...aren't. Roswell makes a few good attempts, but...I just don't think anything could bring humor into such a disturbing book.

With that said, it was at least original...something to be said for that, even if our hero is a wimpy little nugget. At least he tries.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

Jean Valjean (OG 2010) You should review this! If I've said it once, I'll say it again -- I love your reviews. They're freaking hilarious. =]

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Ha, thanks. I don't know if even I can make anything funny out of this depressing nightmare of a book lol