Doc Opp's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Apr 29, 07

As an empirical psychologist by training, I get very annoyed at journalists who simplify things to the point that its no longer even remotely accurate. Such is the case for Blink. This is especially annoying to me, because the book describes my area of research specialization. If you're interested in a fun read, Gladwell is certainly an engaging author. If you're looking for something that accurately describes the research, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

For example, Scott Plous's "the psychology of judgment and decision making" (which, despite the title, is not textbook like), or the Heath brothers' "Made to stick".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Graham agreed.

message 2: by Richard (last edited Nov 19, 2008 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Richard I hate it when I read a book, think I've learned a lot, then am told later that everything I've learned is wrong. Krugman did it to me too, and Galbreath even earlier.

Ah, well, what am I to think regarding Gilovich's How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life? Or Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational?

After all, you haven't written any Pop Cog books yet. However, congrats on the Ig Nobel, and thanks for making that paper and the one on the Recognition Heuristic available as PDFs.

message 3: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Glass Can you suggest an an alternative? What is the point of invoking your professional opinion if not to enlighten? Perhaps this is why charlatans are so adept at misleading the public. They win by default because the "experts" stand by and keep silent--or merely complain.

Doc Opp I believe I recommended two alternatives in my review (the Plous book and the Heath book). These days, I'd recommend Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow (which wasn't out at the time of my review, but is very accurate and trustworthy).

message 5: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Glass For some reason I didn't see that last paragraph the first time--device glitch. Will follow up, thanks!